Egg laying time of day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylviaanne, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Since I don't want eggs lost all over my 8 acres, I have been keeping my chickens and ducks in their pen until about 3 or 4 pm. This time of year it only gives them about 4 hours of running around to do for foraging. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is an approximate time of day that they lay their eggs?

Early morning, sometime around noon, afternoon? Or even early morning before it gets light? Any guesses? Anything would help cause I don't know what I will do with the silly things when it starts getting light at 4am and doesn't get dark until 9 pm. Thanks, Sylvia

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    It varies , most of mine have been laying in the morning after they eat breakfast. But some do lay early afternoon. I dont think they lay that late in the afternoons.

3. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I was told by a bunch of old timers by 12 most are done laying.

4. jade0206

jade0206 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    I have 8 rhode island reds and they lay before 8:00am

5. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    A majority of mine lay before 1:30 however, I have gotten eggs as late as 5:15. Yesterday I got 2 between 4 and 4:15.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    They will lay any time between sun up and dark. most chickens take 25-26 hours to develop an egg so it will be a little later each day. If your girls are laying in the boxes well they will return to the boxes to lay and then go back to ranging till dark. Try letting them out a little earlier each day and see how it goes. You may have an egg here and there that gets layed some where else but chickens like routine. You could also count how many eggs you have when you let them out and see if you get any more if so their going back to lay. I'm collecting egg to hatch right now so I'm gathering thru out the day and yesterday I had 9 eggs when Ilet them out but ended up with 20 all in the nest boxes.Oh and I have 15 acres for them to roam.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My three 6-7 month old Marans have been laying anywhere between noon and 7pm. Yesterday I left the house at noon. When I came back at 3pm I had 3 eggs, which was weird because I usually get 2 and then the last one 3 hours later. I'm sure this will all change, as they are very young.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by