egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redman67, Nov 16, 2008.

1. redman67

redman67 New Egg

Nov 16, 2008
    my rhode island reds are about 7 months old, when will they start laying eggs?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG]

Boy I would think they should be laying by now. What are you feeding them? Do you free range? Maybe they are laying somewhere outside.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I don't know. Mine layed at 4 mo. Maybe it's the weather?

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Most chickens will start laying between 22 and 28 weeks of age. It is also that time of year when all chickens kept under natural light conditions will generally slow down or stop laying. Don't give up hope. We have had some go as far as 31 weeks. We have also had a few that went to 28 weeks, layed a few eggs and have stopped again.
    Are they checking out the nests? You can place fake eggs in the nest boxes to coax them a bit.
    Are they coop kept or free range? Free range birds will hide their eggs a lot of the time.
    Do you have them on a layer ration? Layer feed has all the right nutrients to promote healthy laying.
    Are their bodies ready for laying? Hold a hen with her head tucked between your arm and your side with her belly in your hand. With your other hand feel below the vent area until you find the pelvic bones. They will feel like two bone protrusions almost sticking straight out about 2 inches below the vent. These will widen as a hen gets closer to laying time. If you can only place 1 finger between the bones then she is not ready. You should be able to place 1 1/2 to 2 fingers between the bones. If you can do that then just hold your breathe because it will be any day.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your first egg.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I have RIR's. The first to start laying was at 17 weeks my last to start laying was at 27 weeks. Also it depends on amount of light and temperature can play a part also. I leave a small red light on in my coop 24/7. On really cold days/nights I have 250 watt heat lamps. I use brooder lamps in the coops. Some people put their lights on a timer and have their light come on before sun up. Hang in there.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

From another post on another thread.
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by