egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmnut, Dec 18, 2008.

1. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    does barred rock hens lay every day or every two days? some days there are three eggs, other 2 eggs, then one egg. What going on?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

They could just be slowing down b/c of the shorter days.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How old are they ?? How long have they been laying for ?? Are they getting 14 hours of light a day ?? Are they on layer feed ??

4. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Quote:they are 27 weeks, and on layer feed. they are not on a 14 hour daylight. one hen has had problems with egg bounding, but she has not acted like thats aproblem since i put vaseline up the vent.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:they are 27 weeks, and on layer feed. they are not on a 14 hour daylight. one hen has had problems with egg bounding, but she has not acted like thats aproblem since i put vaseline up the vent.

The lack of light could have a lot to do with it, chickens need 14 hours of light a day to lay good. Some hens slow down in the winter months. If you could add a few hours of light to there coop per day that might help !!

How long have they been laying for ?

6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I think they are just letting you know that you need them more than they need you...chickens are evil that way...that is how they slowly take over your world and dominate you!! Yes nice chikens I will get you more friends...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by