Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chic Rustler, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    How do you guys tell which of your chickens lay which eggs and when? I just find eggs in the nest box. But 9 hens are laying 7 a day so theres a couple slackers i need to identify

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How old are your birds and what breed(s)? 7 eggs a day out of 9 birds is actually really decent production - not every bird is going to lay an egg every day....a good average is to look for 5-6 eggs a week so at 7 a day x 7 days= 49 eggs a week your right in the middle of averaging 5-6 a week per bird. Some breeds have lower production rates and may lay only 4-5 eggs a week and if your birds are in the third or later laying cycle you can expect that to be lower still.
    As to telling who is in or out of production - you start with the vent -- a non-producing bird's vent will be dry, tight and puckered in appearance - often yellow and crusty looking; a bird in production has a wide, moist, plump vent.

3. Chic Rustler

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the tip on the vent. I got 6 red sexlinks, 2 rir x Buff orpington all 1 year old and 1 black astrolarp of unknown age.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees 7 out of 9 is pretty good.

I've found pelvic point spacing to be easier than vent appearance...at least until you've had some practice.
    Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

5. Chic Rustler

Feb 11, 2017
    Texas
    Yeah 7 is pretty good. Especially in February! I was just wondering for future reference so i know when to cull.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by