EGG Laying

No, you need to feed some kind of layer feed. Either pellets or mash !! Corn is just a filler !!

Alright, because my freinds brother and neighbor feeds them corn all year round and they lay a little less eggs but about the same and there fine, and i also heard corn is better to feed them in the winter for some reason i dont know why. Please keep posting so i know what to do.

This is how I feed mine, I get a 50 pound bag of layer pellets (about $11.00 here) and mix it with about 1/4 of a bag of cracked corn (a 50 pound bag around here is about $8.00) The cracked corn mixed with the layer pellets makes the feed last a little longer and when you have 40+ chickens that is nice. I mix the corn and layer pellets in a plastic tote. And they have access to that all day in there feeders.

I also throw out some scratch in the pen when they come out in the morning (there is no need for a lot of this, its more like a treat) but gives them somthing to do during the day.
A bag of that goes for around $10.

Like I said corn is a filler & cheap (thats why you always see a lot of corn in dog foods) It fills them up for cheap $$. In order for chickens to lay good they need a good diet and layer pellets have everything they need in there.

Let me know if you need anymore help !!

Alright because im tryin to sell eggs and in the spring i hacth them but this is my first year raising my own chickens i usally just got the eggs from a freind of mine and then i sell the chicks or eggs but i got 55 chickens now. Right now im feeding them about a 60% corn and 40% soybean meal which seems to be working pretty good but i didnt know if there was anything better for about the same price.

Try what I told you and see if things change at all, How old are your girls ?? Is the layer much more $$ than what you are paying ?

There mostley pullets that been laying for a month now. And im am mixing soybean meal with the corn because it high in protein and the corn is low in protein so i mix them together 40 pounds soybean meal and 60 pounds corn which makes it 18% feed and thats what pertcent protein your suppose to feed them right?

Back
Top Bottom