Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janet2802, Jul 26, 2007.

1. janet2802

janet2802 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    Ok, maybe everyone is going to tell me to be patient, but I am not sure. My BH finally built the nesting boxes for the girls. I put into the boxes some hay and sawdust for comfort, even fake eggs for help. The girls have had the nesting boxes for about three weeks now and we have not seen anything. They are almost four months old right now too. Oh, and they are enjoying the crickets and grasshoppers my daughters are catching for them. What do you guys think?

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    they usually lay at 5 months or more. not to sound stupid but what is BH?

3. janet2802

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    Beloved husband.

4. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    They won't start to lay till they are 5-6 months old. It depends on the breed.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    It seems like it takes forever for them to lay. The waiting....waiting.... waiting. Then one day an egg surprise. [​IMG]

Just be paitient they will get there eventially.

What kind of girls do you have?

6. janet2802

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    I think they are Ameraucana, but not sure. One of the girls is my image. They are fun though. Love grasshoppers and making trouble. Granted, the rooster is loud in the morning, but he is a kick.

7. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    We have almost-4 month old Americaunas right now, too, and since the hens are starting to develop red combs I've started looking for eggs. We've had gold sex links as well as these Americaunas, and even though everyone says 5 months is the average age the gsl's began laying at 4 months, also.
    We have two Americauna roos...They sound hilarious! [​IMG]

8. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    sex links usually start earlier than other birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by