Egg Laying

bietsch624

Songster
15 Years
Nov 28, 2008
It's blistering cold in Pennsylvania right now and my Ringnecks have just started to lay their first season..is this normal?

No it's not normal. They usually don't lay that far north until late April or May.
Are they under artificial lighting and do you keep them in a climate control enclosure? If so then it could be possible.
Ring necked pheasants are seasonal breeders/layers. Although they are laying, I doubt they would be fertile. Have you seen the males attempting to breed the hens? Are the males displaying?

No it's not normal. They usually don't lay that far north until late April or May.
Are they under artificial lighting and do you keep them in a climate control enclosure? If so then it could be possible.
Ring necked pheasants are seasonal breeders/layers. Although they are laying, I doubt they would be fertile. Have you seen the males attempting to breed the hens? Are the males displaying?
They are outdoors with a building to roost in out of weather and then have an open flightpen. I honestly thought it was way to early and their laying would probably be about the same as my Bobwhites. I hadn't noticed the male attempting to bread yet.

You never know what is going to trigger your birds to start laying early. Once in a while it happens. Either we got a few warm day or something. Just interested. At least you get to hatch out eggs early!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom