Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BMW, Mar 3, 2009.

1. BMW

BMW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    I bought four white chickens that I think are Leg Horns. I have had them for two weeks. We have a Coop with the boxes and saw dust on the floor. We have been feeding them laying mesh. I'm not sure how old they are. Will they lay eggs?

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Any hen will lay eggs if there is nothing wrong with her and she's laying age.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Do they have redder wattle and a comb?

4. BMW

BMW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    What is redder wattles, and yes they have combs.

5. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    When we adopted our chickens they were already a year old. They were laying daily when we got them but due to the stress of the move, car ride, new coop, new sounds, and our dog they did not start laying at our house for about three weeks. Chicken are more particular then we give them credit for. They need to feel safe before they lay, which makes since. Give them some time, good food, and attention.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Can you post some pictures?

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Katrina is asking if your chickens' wattles and combs are red, instead of pink. I believe the comb and wattles turn red when the hens are old enough to lay eggs.

8. BMW

BMW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Good Morning, I'm not sure how to post pictures. I'll try to figure it out. I would say that they're red not pink. I also want to add that I put a golf ball in one of the boxes is that O.K. They don't run from me anymore. They talk and come to me when I take them their food.

9. BMW

BMW Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    I have two with really red wattles and two without. I have noticed that the golf ball is not in the box in the mornings when I go feed them. Should I leave it out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by