Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick1427, Aug 31, 2007.

1. chick1427

chick1427 New Egg

Aug 31, 2007
    I just bought some chickens 3 are laying and the rest are about 4-6 away from laying! I am only getting 1-2 eggs a day between the three that are laying. Is this normal or should I be getting more eggs! I am new to this! Also, should I have my nesting boxes closed in at the top! Because right now they are divided with no top on them? Please help I am new at this and trying to learn as much as I can!!

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    They say 2 eggs a day between 3 chickens is what is to be expected. That's pretty much what mine do with an occasional day of 1 extra egg or 1 egg less.

3. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    What kind of babys do you have?1 per bird is the norm.When you get into the big bird layers like the black sexlinks and leghorns and some buff o's youll get 2,even sometimes on rear occasions 3 eggs a day.Having the boxes closed on all side except front of course is the way to go.That way if they dont like it they can just leave and go lay in the straw under the tractor like my barred rocks like to do.[​IMG]

4. chick1427

chick1427 New Egg

Aug 31, 2007
    Wow..I thought it would be more! The guy we bought them from said about 7/10 eggs per 10 chickens! So I thought maybe I was doing something wrong..

Thanks For egg info.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  5. CtlisencedArborist

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    WHAT!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:lol:What kind do you have?

6. CtlisencedArborist

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Are you free ranging them?Are you giving them oyster shell?D/e?What kind of feed?Plenty of water!Greens?Bread?Kisses?[​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

From what I understand, if the farmer said you'd get about 7 eggs per 10 chickens, you're doing fine. What you are getting is normal at 2/3 eggs per chicken. 67% vs 70% expected, not bad.

8. chick1427

chick1427 New Egg

Aug 31, 2007
    Oh my...I meant 7/10 for every ten..

9. shaveudogg

shaveudogg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2007
    One of the books I read said a chicken lay a egg the first day and one the second day off a day but because it goes by how hours in between sometimes the time catches up and the lay one the three day every couple monthes.I have 41 pullets and I am up to 24 day,I know that two are not laying let because they lay color eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by