Egg Laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mnjpando, May 23, 2010.

1. mnjpando

mnjpando Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Ok next step of my venture.. I got my first eggs. Only problem is they are laying them in the bottom of the coop and not in the nest boxes. How can I change this,, Please help

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have heard if you put golf balls or fake eggs, where you want them to lay that will teach them. Have never tried it though.

3. mnjpando

mnjpando Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    But I have RIR's and these eggs are brown and bigger than golf balls and golf balls are white will this still work?? I need some help please

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Golf balls, they'll learn eventually.

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    They just need something to show them where to lay. Check with your feed store or on line chicken sites for fake eggs. You can get this in diffreent colors and sizes. Golf balls will work just fine. BUT I would not wait to long. Once it becomes habit it will be harder to break them of it.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I went with the fake wooden eggs, one white and one brownish. My girls are either green or brown egg layers, and when they began laying, it didn't matter which egg was where. They've never laid anywhere but in the nest boxes, so it must have helped??? [​IMG] Since yours have already laid elsewhere, I would show them the eggs in the boxes.

7. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    All you do is put golf balls it works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by