Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by phill1957, Sep 11, 2010.

1. phill1957

phill1957 New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    why would chalky white start showing up on brown eggs?( I just switched from starter to Purina laying feed I'm a new chicken mom. Also ; have had a few soft translucient eggs and the hens haven't beed laying as regularly chickens won't be 1 yr till April tho

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The layer feed should help with thin shells...starter feed has minimal calcium. Offer oyster shell or crush up egg shells to offer free choice as well. Eliminate any treats except maybe things known to have high protein, at least for a few weeks. It takes protein to make eggs. I'm not sure what the protein level is in starter feed, but the layer feed should have the right amount. If you're finding lots of feathers around and in the coop, that means they're going through a molt, and egg production does fall off at this time, as the protein is going into feather regrowth rather than egg making...

3. phill1957

phill1957 New Egg

Aug 8, 2010
    Thank-you so much for replying. there have been more feathers. didn't realize they were old enough to molt. what do you give for protein?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Many use BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). Feeder Supply carries bags of sunflower hearts, and I buy that as treats. Some give a handful of catfood a day, which I've done before, but I'm wary of the salt. I've also given salmon and tuna as treats, meat scraps if you have any...pretty much anything with high protein. Spinach leaves would probably be good, but my girls free range and get lots of greens already, so they turn their beaks up at that...lol. If your birds are contained though, they would probably like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by