egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donkee1, Nov 18, 2010.

1. donkee1

donkee1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    My Chickens were hatched the beginning of May -- I have 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Americanas and 3 Red Sexlinks --- sometimes I get 5 eggs a day and sometimes only 3 --- - I have a light in the coop that comes on around 4:30 am and goes off around 8:00pm. Should everyone be laying by now????[​IMG]

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think you are doing well, especially this time of year. Two of mine, that were hatched late March, just started laying. Can you tell by egg type who is laying what? If someone isn't laying yet you may be able to be tell when they are about to by behaviors (squatting, singing...) or physically - having a redder comb. Good luck! I bet not all of them are laying, as soon as they are you will be having omelets for every meal! [​IMG]

3. donkee1

donkee1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I don't think the Americana's are because I'm not getting any blue/green eggs --- Is it usual to get 5 one day and 3 the next?? As you can tell this is the first time I have had chickens. All of the sudden I have a mean one --- she is pecking at me all the time --- never had any trouble until a couple weeks ago???

4. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    I have 3 ee's hatched march 16. 2 were laying by mid august, 1 just started a week ago. It took her almost 9 months to get started. I just figured she was slightly retarted but it was recently explained to me that blue/green layers aren't bred for production. They are bred for "pretty eggs" so when or how many they lay is pretty much a turkey shoot.

5. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I have 6 EE's, 2 I know are laying as I had them before I added the other 4. They are all the same age 9 months. I bought them all from the same person. 1 of the last 4 is laying every 3 or 4 days under the coop, 3 are not laying yet, first 2 lay in nests, some days both of them, but at least 1 of them lay every day As I get any where from one to three green eggs a day. Will be glad when other ones start, I am hoping for a least one to lay blue eggs.[​IMG] I do not have extra light in coop either they lay or not this winter. We are down to about 10 hours a day of light now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by