1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying.?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FREEZE's CHICKENS, Jan 13, 2011.

1. FREEZE's CHICKENS

FREEZE's CHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    So i use to have 12 RIR's Now im down to 8. there were pullets when i bought them. now they are around 30 weeks. some still arent laying! is that cause of the winter?

2. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    I would have to same yes...some hens take longer to start laying, but, more than likely it's the cold weather...

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    It is quite possible. I have an Ameraucana pullet that is ten months old and still not laying. I am pretty sure I probably won't see an egg out of her until it starts warming up and the days get much longer. I do not use supplemental light or heat in my coop.

4. FREEZE's CHICKENS

FREEZE's CHICKENS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Adamstown,pa
    Yea, thats what i was thinking. thanks for the advice. i also do not use heaters or lights. day light can do it thing exspecially with the electric prices

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I understand people not wanting to give extra light, but as far as the cost, a 40 watt bulb running 5 hours a day will cost less than $1 month in electricity.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you use one of the new, mini-fluorescent bulbs, it might even be cheaper. I also like that they come, with timer, kinda dim and then grow a little brighter within a minute or two. Seems more natural than a sudden shock.

I only light to make them a 12-14 hour day, similar to May or August. I still allow them a solid 9-11 hours of complete darkness for rest. This does "maintain" egg production, but doesn't push them to really pump them out. They need to reserve some energy for producing heat to keep themselves warm.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I keep charts and logs, as feed costs are very high. My chickens are very well cared for, but they are not pets. This is a farm and efficiency is vital. If the issue is breeding, non-layers are simply not allowed. If the issue is a particular pullet, the same principle applies for culling.
    Egg laying breeds are kept precisely for that skill. If I wanted to raise meat birds, I would.

8. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I like having a mixed flock so i can tell who is laying and who isn't. For example, I have a black turken who i have never seen on the nest(born last may) I will give it a little more time and it will be stew pot for her.

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:It is not so much the cost, I worry about fire hazard and I don't want any supplemental heat in the coop. Mainly because it gets pretty cold here and if we lost electricity, I wouldn't want the chickens used to the additional heat.

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:It is not so much the cost, I worry about fire hazard and I don't want any supplemental heat in the coop. Mainly because it gets pretty cold here and if we lost electricity, I wouldn't want the chickens used to the additional heat.

A 40 watt bulb is not going to give heat in a normal sized coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by