1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenlover36, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Chickenlover36

Chickenlover36 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Ive been feeding and watering my chickens but they will not lay![​IMG] Any ideas will help!

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Please provide additional information:

Age of chickens?
    Breed of chickens?
    Type of Feed?
    Suppliments, if any?

3. Chickenlover36

Mar 7, 2011
    They are 2 years old and they are rhode island reds. Its layer mesh and i have no idea what im doing with suppliments

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. carrlr

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Ok, i didn' t expect them to be 2 years old. Did you get them as chicks or older birds? Have they ever laid?

5. Chickenlover36

Mar 7, 2011
    got them wen they were one and yes they have laid b4

6. cluckin_crazy

cluckin_crazy Green Bot

Nov 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    There may not be enough daylight hours yet, or they could be molting. Where do you live?

7. carrlr

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I agree with cluckin_crazy, those are both reasons that chickens wouldn't lay for a period of time. I don't know where your live, or how bad the winter has been, or how long since they've actually laid. I had a spell over the winter when it was real cold and my girls really slowed down. I went from about 8-9/day to 2 from 11 girls. Someone suggested BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and red pepper be added to their diet. I used both and my girls started laying again and continued even after getting cold spells. They'd been down for around a month or more. I've stopped the red pepper now, because we have warmer weather now, but regularly (daily, if I have it) give them BOSS. Not sure if it was just good timing or it actually worked. Best of luck.

8. Chickenlover36

Mar 7, 2011
    but our amish friends havent had any problems with egg laying and they are our neighbors. [​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you free range? Look for an egg stash. They may not have established themselves to your nest boxes and may be hiding their eggs.
    Lots of fresh water and feed available at all times?

With the longer daylight, I wouldn't think light is an issue anymore, as we are up to 12 hours of natural daylight.

Sadly, people do sell chickens and are not truthful about their age. Another possibility is that they really need to molt and start their third laying season.

10. Chickenlover36

Mar 7, 2011
    see but i bought mine from agway like everyone else does when they start laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by