egg laying

Iteach2008

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Hello I'm new to this forum. I wish it were more active on Facebook. I actually do have a comment/question. I have six chickens, and most of them have quit laying. They are not broody. The only thing I can think of is the heat. It has been in the upper 90s, but it seems to me they quit laying before that even. I have an Australorp, Sussex, and a Brahma on strike. My sex-link and silver laced something (can't remember off the top of my head) and an RIR are still laying pretty good. But I have six chickens and I'm getting about 2 to 3 eggs a day if that. What the heck? I thought my Australorp would be laying better than this.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
It could certainly be the heat! Hens will take time off during extreme temperatures. Also, my chickens free range part of the time, so I always lose eggs. How old are they? Do you think they are starting to molt? Your Australorp should be laying quite regularly.

Hi, Thank you for commenting. They are just over a year old. My Austalorp molted about two or three months ago. She is the one I am most worried about. They have a very nice large area to roam in, and at least twice a week we let them into the yard. I am kind of frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom