Egg laying!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chick1043, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I have two 27 week old bantams and they still haven't laid eggs. Is there something wrong? I looked all over the backyard and no eggs. Thanks.

2. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    8. No Bumping or Cross-posting topics.​

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Nothings probably wrong, some birds just take longer than others to lay!! Not really sure the reason why it just is what it is!!

4. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    HINT: More information would have gotten you more and better answers!

You don't say what type of bantams but I will give you some general information based on my experience. A lot of the bantams I have had were very much like a wild bird in that they tended to be seasonal egg layers. Birds like that will want to start laying in their first Spring and will also hide their eggs and go broody. Yours may be like that. I have never kept the bantam layer breeds like Leghorns so I do not know if they follow the patterns of the large fowl. The OE games, Sebrights, and Silkies we have had here all tended to be Springtime layers.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks! I have a Dark Brahma and an Ameracauna bantam. :)

6. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Quote:I definitely would not be looking yet for eggs. I have had a couple bantam brahmas around. Nasty little guys by comparison to the big ones. They were not prolific year around layers. I would bet the Americauna would be a slow starter also.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Keep them contained in coop/run for a few weeks to assure yourself that they aren't laying off site somewhere. This is what we do with large fowl anyhow. This just takes nest hiding out of the wonderment equation.

8. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Alright, I'll try that! Thanks! lol Or I can follow them everywhere they go! xD

9. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I understand how you feel, my Wyandotte ,Silver-laced is 24 weeks and haven't started laying. To make matters even worse, I have mixed breed that I hatched 1 1/2 year ago they have even stop laying....total of 10 hens and one egg a day!!!![​IMG]

10. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:lol I hope that doesn't happen to me! I have 1 hen, 9 pullets, and 1 cockerel..

Hen- White Plymouth Rock- 1 a day
    Pullets- 1 Ameracauna bantam, 1 Ameracauna large fowl, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Sex-link, 1 Dark Brahma bantam, 2 Easter Eggers, 3 New Hampshire Reds...
    Cocks- New Hampshire Red

lol Seems like a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by