Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3 chicks & 1 rooster, Jul 6, 2008.

1. 3 chicks & 1 rooster

3 chicks & 1 rooster New Egg

Jul 1, 2008
    I'm a newbie to chicken raising and have 3 hens that have been free ranging. One has started laying (I have found one egg which she laid almost a week ago and not one since). Someone told me to put them in the coop until they lay in there and then keep them in there awhile longer so that will come back to the coop to lay. My questions are: is that true? How many eggs will one hen lay? Do they start laying and stop (since it has been a week)? Thank you for your help:) 3 chicks & 1 rooster

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hens lay on an average cycle of 1 egg every 25 hours. Some lay like clockwork, the same time and place daily and others will lay 1 hour later each day. Some hens lay daily, some lay every other day. Heavy breeds take longer to start laying than lighter breeds. Hens are like women - they each have their own natural cycle only theirs repeats daily not monthly like women.

If you want them to lay in the hen house. Lock them in the hen house a few days. Collect the eggs through the day. Get an idea of what your hens laying cycle is like. If they are laying more in the morning let them out to range more in the afternoon. If you want them to lay in the nest boxes put some fake eggs or golf balls in there to help encouage them to lay where you want them to lay.

Chickens can be taught to lay in the hen house and in the nest boxes. They just need encouraging.

If your hens are free ranging, you might need an easter egg hunt to locate them. Not good if you hit an old one with the lawn mower.

Lock 'em up. Teach 'em where to lay. Safe yourself a ton of trouble.

3. 3 chicks & 1 rooster

Jul 1, 2008
    Thank you Miss Prissy. I have them in the coop but they are not laying. It has been a week since my one has laid? Is that normal? I agree about teaching them. Thanks again.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, it is normal. It takes a while for the egg factory to really kick in and the supply to be steady. I have been collecting eggs from one of my pullets for nearly 2 months and she still isn't laying consistantly.

5. 3 chicks & 1 rooster

Jul 1, 2008
    Should I go ahead and keep them in the coop? I went ahead and cleaned the coop again and placed easter eggs in the nesting boxes.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are not lying daily they won't know what to do locked in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by