1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EGG LAYING

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Crower, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Crower

Crower Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    new jersey
    At what age do bobwhite quail start laying eggs?

2. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    22-24 weeks old is the earliest I've noticed mine laying using lights.

3. quailchick

quailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    I have three BW quail hens. I have only one laying and she started at 21 1/2 weeks. But, I was told she is an early layer. I have read that they normally start laying at 6 months.

My one that is laying has been laying almost one a day. It is weird, every day she lays later and later, then skips a day, then the cycle starts over. She started laying Sept. 14th, we have received nine eggs since then, and no egg yet today...

On Sunday, we had quail eggs sunnyside up. They were so delicious! I wanted more, so I went to the Asian market and bought some quail eggs there, they were coturnix quail eggs. We had them over rice last night. They were good, but not even close to as good as ours. Probably because those quail eggs are commercially grown, and my quail are spoiled with all kinds of treats we give them. Mealworms, crickets, bugs we find outside, clover, mustard, corn on the cob, grapes, apples, peaches, millet sprays, etc. So far their favorite is mealworms, corn, grapes, and millet.

4. Crower

Crower Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2011
    new jersey
    I love eggs. cant wait to try my own.I also want to pickle some.thanks for your reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by