egg laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jimbo4, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jimbo4

jimbo4 New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    Two years ago I bought 24 baby blond buffs.They are beautiful birds tame and gentle and they laid large brown eggs and spit them out like a slot machine. Six months ago they had their first molt and I haven't had an egg since then. These birds are so pretty and tame I HATE TO GET RID OF THEM, but I can't afford to keep them with the price of feed if they are only going to lay six months out of the year.Is ther anyone that can tell me whats wrong.

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Well the older a chicken gets, the less eggs they lay and the more infrequent their egg laying is. 2 years is actually old for a chicken. Sorry I can't really help, they may just be going through molt or have stopped laying for winter. You could try posting this question in the egg laying section of the forum?

1 person likes this.
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

2 years is not all that old for chickens. Really. I have several in my flock, my dominant rooster is over three years old, as well as four of the seven hens I got with him as chicks at the same time. The lifespan of chickens is more like 6 to 8 years - there are many, many BYCers who have older chickens... Actually living in flocks, too, not pampered inside chickens or the like.

Moulting takes a lot out of chickens and their feathers are protein, as are eggs. Upping the protein in their feed can help shorten the amount of time it takes to regrow the feathers and recover enough to lay eggs again.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think the combination of molting and the shorter days over winter is to blame. Most hens need around 14 hours or more of light per day to keep them in production. I don't think they are too old. I had a 6yo hen that still laid well and went broody on me! Give them 'till spring and they should start laying for you again.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I concur with sumi. My established hens just started laying again after a long winter and an ugly molt. I was worried for awhile but they are slowly getting back into the swing of things. Good luck to you!

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!! Glad you joined.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I agree with the others. I also feed my chickens a combo chick starter mixed with their layer feed when they are molting heavily. :thumbsup

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] As they fully recover from the molt and as the day length increases they will start laying again. Production will probably be less than it was, but they may be good for another couple of years. Decreasing egg production in aging hens is why many replace a portion of their flock (the oldest) each year.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by