Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pattyp, Mar 1, 2013.

1. pattyp

pattyp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    Australia
    Howdy - we have four great little chickens who have always payed their eggs in the nesting box. Often you can see them in the morning lining up to use the box even though they have two boxes. Over the past week we have found that hey have been making other nests and laying their eggs in the corner of their house, they have hay on spread on the concert floor to stop the cold. I have put some eggs in their nesting box to try and encourage them back but I was wondering if anyone else has other ideas to get them laying in their box again.

2. Masonicflock

Masonicflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Springfield, Tn
    Bad News... They are chickens and have a mind of their own [​IMG]. you can try but be better off just looking for their new nests or wherever the eggs are

3. pattyp

Jan 3, 2013
    Australia
    Oh we'll at least their not laying in the yard... Yet

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

My chickens made a new nest a while back, so i just pushed it all out of shape and then just put a cardboard ox where i was they then started laying in the nesting shed again. I would also add another nest box to make 3, put it in a different spot though.

5. pattyp

Jan 3, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks for the ideas. I messed up the nest they made and put two eggs back in the nesting box and I think it has worked. At least for now..;)

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Good! I reckon chickens would lay anywhere and everywhere if they had the choice.lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by