egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken man1971, Nov 3, 2013.

1. chicken man1971

chicken man1971 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    I have 9 chickens that are a little over 6 mths old and have not started laying yet, they are buff orps and bard rocks the rooster is trying to mate with the and I am feeding them 16% laying pellets and chops,i was trying seeds like wheat and rye but some one told me to ferment first

2. jedgell

jedgell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    I have some barred rocks that are just over 6 months old and have just started laying. They didn't start until I added supplemental lighting, do you have lights on your hens?

3. chicken man1971

chicken man1971 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    no bu someone just told me to get a timer and put one in so do u have just a regular light that comes on early in the morning because all I have in there now is a red heat light

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    In my experience, hens of the same age tend to lay a few weeks after the rooster starts trying to mate. The males tend to mature first for some reason--I guess so they can get a few lucky shots in at passing along their genetic code before they become soup.

If you're going to supplement their lighting, make sure you use the right kind of lighting--a regular old lightbulb won't do. My dad always uses a fluorescent shop light on a timer when he wants to supplement the lighting, but we haven't used it for the past couple of years because we have been getting enough eggs without it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Regular light bulbs work fine for chickens. I use a 40 watt bulb in an 8 by 8 coop and it has worked great for over 20 years. No special bulb is needed. Fluorescent bulbs are fine, but the they can be sensitive to cold in my experience.

6. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan

I'm using the same red heat light, should we start using a reg light instead?

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I wouldn't use the heat lamp, it's not good for chickens if we provide them with heat, they simply don't need it and they need to get use to the cooler temperates. And regular bulbs are just fine. Fluorsecent lights can break in the cold, thats what I've read a number of times.

8. blom545

blom545 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Cape Town,South Africa
    some chickens just take longer the buff orpington is a slow maturer and the barred rock a bit faster with mine I waited 8 months

9. rainlips

rainlips Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Northern michigan

That makes sense, thanks :)

10. jedgell

jedgell Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    I get good results with a 40 watt light bulb. It's not even inside where the hens roost, but right outside the window so it lights inside and out. I figure if it's going to go off in the evening and will be off during the coldest time of the night, I'm not doing them any favors by having it heat the inside before they roost and in the morning. Too many temperature fluctuations to be good for them. They have their downy feathers and their buddies to keep them warm as nature intended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by