Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coop-er, Nov 10, 2013.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    About how long will a chicken lay? Approx how old are they when they stop laying eggs? Does it differ by breed? I am looking to add to my small flock and would like to get adult hens-

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    There are many factors that will influence how long they can lay including breed, health, diet, predators, etc. But I do know people that still have 9 year old hens that still lay. Not very many per week, but they still do. My oldest are almost 5 years old. One still lays 5-6 eggs a week, the other 2 are sporadic in their laying. I lost some of the others this year to laying issues (internal laying).

3. BarnChickyOO

BarnChickyOO Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Proudly Born in the USA
    It all depends on the breed, health, and care of the chicken.
    Even if all your chickens are the same breed, and are all raised the same, you can still expect their egg production to differ. They're all different- just like people.

Typically, after their first molt egg production starts to drop, and than more after every molt after that. You can encourage you chickens to keep their production up by using artificial lighting. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by