Egg laying

Concerned01

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 9, 2013
Like a lot of people my chickens are going on strike, they stop laying for awhile. My Aunt
Told me she gave her chickens cornmeal with dried red peppers in it served warm.
Her chickens laid year round.
Has anyone else heard of this?

I’ve heard that. I’ve heard a lot of things, such as if you see a crow in the road it’s going to snow, even if it is in the middle of August with overnight lows in the70’s. I think you should try it yourself and see what results you get. What does it cost you to try?

Each chicken is different but a lot of domesticated chickens will lay for about year after they start laying, go through a mini-molt and reduce or stop laying for a while, then start back up when their body has recharged itself a bit. But when the days get shorter in the fall, they normally go through a full molt and stop laying in their second fall/winter. Some will start laying again when the molt is finished regardless of how long the days are but some will wait until the days get longer in the spring. So regardless of what you do, if you have pullets in the flock, you’ll probably get some eggs all winter. And if you have some hens that go through the molt early and get over it, you’ll likely have some that lay in the winter. A fairly common occurrence is that a broody in late summer will go through a molt while she is raising her chicks and get it over with before the rest of the flock go through their regular fall molt.

Thank you very much for the reply. It answered more than one question I had. I do have one molting, One is still laying and the other just started to lay again after just days of stopping.
Tried to put recent pic of girls but doesn't seem to want to work :(

My girls Bertha light brown, runner has a tan tail in the red and red has black in her tail. Bertha is molting and not laying, red has not stopped laying and runner stopped for a little while but laid an egg today :) . My good girls
Red is the one looking, runner is in front of Bertha

Pretty girls!! Chickens are far more interesting than we ever imagined!!

Some lines of chickens are better at laying right thru their molt, of thru the fall season. Finding them is the dificult part.

The girls thank you for the compliment. So do I, got two eggs today. Bertha molting more than ever, keeping them warm. Brief visits outside when too cold :)

We have given table scraps of mostly veggies, and oatmeal. They really like the oatmeal.

I like the idea may try but my girls can ignore me very well, unless i have dried meal worms in hand or they want then they pay attention
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom