egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsherman8, Jul 25, 2014.

1. dsherman8

dsherman8 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    We just got some chickens (4 hens and 1 rooster) from someone who no longer wanted them. She told us that they lay about 6-8 eggs a day. But they would probably not lay until they get use to the new coop. Well it has been 2 weeks now. We are only getting 1 egg a day what should we do?? Could there be something wrong?? They are able to free range most of the day because I am not sure about my dogs. They seem to be eating well. They like to dig and lay in the dirt. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. jessietacos

jessietacos Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    How old/what breed are your chickens?:)

3. dsherman8

dsherman8 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    I am not sure three are brown and one is white?

4. jessietacos

jessietacos Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    I'm glad you're free-ranging:)! Chickens who eat natural organisms make healthier eggs. I heard it also helps to add crushed eggshells to their feed for better egg laying

5. dsherman8

dsherman8 New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you, I have been crushing any egg shells I have up and feeding it to them.

6. kschicks2013

kschicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    I originally had 6 buff rocks and Iowa blue hens. They've been laying well until recently. I did add to my flock and my 5 new chicks are now laying. However I'm not getting enough eggs daily. I'm thinking it's due to the heat. It's been very hot. That's the only thing I can think of that's different. Today I got 3 eggs and I have 11 chickens. I feed layer feed which has oyster shells already added. They've been eating this feed the entire time. They don't have any mites or lice. Can anyone weigh in with their opinion. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by