1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by georgie99, Aug 10, 2014.

1. georgie99

georgie99 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2014
    I have 5 hens, last week they started laying. I got 6 eggs the first couple days since I have not received any more. Is this normal?
    Also my hens are laying in the middle of the afternoon is this also normal?

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, pullets who have just started laying are known to take breaks between eggs. This is totally normal. Their bodies are still adjusting to laying eggs frequently. After a month or so, they should be laying every day.

Most people think that hens are supposed to lay in the morning. This is not true. Hens can lay any time of day. Afternoon is just as normal as morning.

Make sure you hens have water, food and plenty of calcium.

Glad you joined!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. As Mountain Peeps said, yes, it is totally normal. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens do you have?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Mountain Peeps X2 They need some time to get their egg laying machines in gear and will lay more frequently and larger eggs as time goes on.

Make sure they are on layer feed and have oyster shell on the side for good hard egg shells.

They can lay at any time of day, depending on when an egg is ready to be laid.

Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

5. georgie99

georgie99 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2014
    Not sure what kind they are. First time having chickens. Got them from tractor supply back in march.
    Thanks for all the help.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. georgie99

georgie99 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2014
    thank you

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you would like to know, just post a picture of them (full body profile showing legs and tail) and we can probably ID them for you. You can also post the pics on https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and let our experts there take a look at them.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A headshot and age at time of photos - is also helpful in identifying breeds, some have a very specific type of comb and/ or more toes than the usual chickens. Welcome to the flock.

10. georgie99

georgie99 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Not too close of an image. Hopefully you guys can tell me what kind she is from this photo if not will try to get a better one. couldn't get them too stay still.
    They have started laying more normal out of 5 hens getting about 3 or 4 eggs a day now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by