Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Equidna, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Equidna

Equidna New Egg

Nov 6, 2014
    I have a black Australorp that's supposed to be 14 weeks old that is practicing her call for when she lays an egg. Does this mean she is going to be laying soon or is she just being a show off?

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I think she is just imitating her peers. 14 weeks is too young for beginning laying. Some signs to watch for: Is her comb & waddle a bright red color? Is she squatting when you try to touch her back? Is she visiting the nest box to get comfortable with it?

I'd give her another 10 weeks or so before watching for eggs from her. Good luck[​IMG]

3. Equidna

Equidna New Egg

Nov 6, 2014
    Thank you Outpost JWB for your advice she can't be copying the others because they're all around the same age and aren't calling but Adelaide's (the chicken I'm talking about) comb and waddle are rather red. (She's the one in the front of the picture) [​IMG]

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    She still looks too young to me. I have a rooster that has sang the egg song......he is not laying obviously. He just thinks he is cute I guess. [​IMG] Hens generally start laying 16-24 weeks of age. So, now is the time to make sure everything is ready. Nest boxes in place, bedding material in nest boxes, etc. Maybe a fake egg or golf ball in the nest box. Good luck with your hen.

5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Excellent advice, and I fully agree with you @Outpost JWB.

Whilst I can see that the hen in question is developing nicely, she does not yet look close to laying. I, too, think she will be another 8 to 10 weeks before she starts laying. Sorry @Equidna - I know the wait is hard and that is not what you want t hear!

JWB - Regarding your rooster singing the Egg Song - mine does too. He sings it after EVERY hen lays her egg - just gets all wrapped up in the moment I suppose, and decides to join in!

- Krista

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  6. Equidna

Equidna New Egg

Nov 6, 2014
    Thank you so much for your advice[​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Egg song' and alarm call are very similar to most folks hearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by