1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EGG LAYING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Townsend Chics, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Townsend Chics

Townsend Chics New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    I have 4 chicks and they are laying eggs daily. However, when I pick out the eggs they have a small indentation on the front end of the eggs. The membrane is not punctured. Any feedback would be helpful...thanks

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    How long have they been laying? Are all of them laying eggs with dents in them?

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi.

What are you feeding them and do you have plenty of nesting material in the nest boxes. Hens lay standing up, so if the shells are fragile perhaps due to incorrect diet and there is little or no nesting material, then as the egg comes out and hits the ground it will most likely dent the end. If they are not on layers feed, then ensure they have access to plenty of calcium. Dried crushed egg shells and crushed oyster shells will provide extra calcium for them. They should have free access to it so that they can get as much or as little as they need.

Hope that helps

Regards

Barbara

1 person likes this.
  4. jokerrulz1

jokerrulz1 New Egg

Jun 7, 2013
    Caneyville ky
    Calcium is low . I game mine crushed oyster shells . Recommended by the feed store. Or egg shells mixed in there feed I hear is good . That are things the shell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by