Egg Less Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whitney9988, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Whitney9988

Whitney9988 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    My Silkie chicken has stopped laying eggs and is displaying signs of being broody. There's only one thing missing. The egg. She just hatched six chicks a couple of months ago and don't really want her to have any more chicks at this point in time. Is this behavior normal? Do I need to give her an egg to sit on or will she get over it?[​IMG]

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Even with no eggs, she will still be broody. There is a way to break broodyness. I don't remember exactly what it is, but its something along the lines of putting them in a cage and hang the cage up high. Do a search and you will find posts about it.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've tried the wire cage bottom method with a couple of my silkies. They screamed so pathetically i could not bear to keep them in it. i just let them be broody until they're done. i make sure i pull them off the nest at least once a day (if not more) and they eventually get over it.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It all depends on how broody she is and wants to be, I have a buff silkie that goes broody every 8 weeks it seems I always end up giving her eggs or chicks b/c she never gives up (she will sit for months) I have a splash hen that I take off the nest a few times a day and after a few days she gives up (I never give her eggs)

Just make sure you keep an eye on her, Make sure she eats and drinks daily. If you dont want any chicks I would take her off the nest a few times a day to make sure she eats. They can sit till they make themselfs weak.

5. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    Well its been a week, week in a half since shes been on the nest and she's not that willing to give up. I've been taking her off but she gets right back on it lol. I gave in today and got her an egg. So we'll see what happens I guess:/

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:What kind of eggs did you give her ? How many ? Keep us updated on how it goes !!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    I just gave her one egg. Its supposed to be a Cuckoo Maran egg. Hopefully it's fertile. She sure does make a good mamma though:)....

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Buy her three baby chicks and stick them under her at night. They are such great brooders.... right temp etc....

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Are they your eggs ??? I would give her at least 3-4 if you can. that way she has a chance of getting 1-2 chicks !!!

Or getting baby chicks works to, ive dont this a few times !!! Just make sure if you give her baby chicks she has been sitting close to 21 days (if you do it to early her motherly instinks might not kick in yet)

10. Whitney9988

Apr 22, 2008
    Washington
    It's my neighbors egg. Last time I put 6 eggs under her and was hoping she'd only have 2 hatch but all 6 ended up hatching lol. I definitely don't want that many again or at least right now. I'm going to check in a few day to see if there's anything developing in the egg. I don't know where to get chicks this time of year. Feeds stores around here don't get them in until late spring...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by