1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg license?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BrackenFarms, Feb 21, 2009.

1. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I live in South Carolina do i need a permit or license to sell eggs

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My guess is that you'll need it in any state if you're selling at a farmers market. Selling from your home/farm may be another story. If you're selling to friends then you won't *need* a license.

I know someone who sells at a farmers market. He needs a license and is subject to periodic un-announced visits from the state ag office.

3. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    Someone out here should be able to point you in the right directionfor SC. Or for the skinny from the source visit your state department of ag page.

Here in Montana we small folks are exempt from licensing... this is directly from our department of ag page about licensing!!

A person buying, selling, or dealing in eggs, a major portion of which are produced by the person's own fowl, or in amounts less than an average of 25 cases per month, is exempt from the requirements of this section.

So if you are doing a few dozen or even a small farmers market you are ok in Montana.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Contact your state department of Agriculture. They'll be happy to send you a copy of the rules & regs involved in selling eggs.

In TN, I don't need a permit to sell the eggs my flock produces if I'm selling directly to the public. There were no restrictions on the location of the sales, though some states may only give that exception to those who do all their sales directly on their farm. Every state will be different.

5. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    Check with your USDA extension office, they will send you the info. I contacted IL and if you sell from your farm you don't have to do anything. If you deliver eggs it is $15 yr, licenses run Jun to Jun there is some kind of limit..its alot like 3000 cases..If you want to sell at farmer market or though a store you have to have a commercial license.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I believe in wisc only if you sell to a restaurant or bakery or any place the eggs will be cooked and resold..

this is one of those situations where you keep a low profile and don't ask..

7. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    jvls you have my kind of thinking haha thanks to all for all of the good info

8. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Does anyone know the rules for Georgia? If not I can contact the state office.

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Here in NC you can sell up to 30 dozen per week before being required to have a license. For selling hatching eggs or chicks you need a license, $10 each, runs from June to June.

The SC Egg Law is posted on this page. :

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t39c039.htm

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I am sure that in any state there is a license required for anything that you would inquire about.. and if there is no license required, I'm sure if you give them ten minutes, they could come up with one..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by