egg life in fridge

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by upstateNYandy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. upstateNYandy

upstateNYandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Well, we started getting eggs last week. (soo cool to raise something that feeds you without being the food). We have two partridge rocks & one white rock & have gotten 13 eggs in the past week. good sized brown eggs with strong shells. we've used six so far and three of the six were double yolked. is this a fluke or do we have a special chicken? dont know who they came from because they lay at strange times of the day. Also, as we dont eat alot of eggs, how long will they last in the fridge? We'll be sharing with the neighbors but want to keep a supply on hand & dont want to be giving away OLD eggs. Thanks for the help. You are all such a cool & fun to read community!

2. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    idk for sure but i keep mine in the fridge for 2-3 weeks

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I think it is like 4- 5 weeks
    Here is how to tell if they are still fresh:
    Fill a deep bowl with enough water to cover an egg.
    Place the egg in the water.
    If the egg lies on its side on the bottom, the air cell within is small and it's very fresh.
    If the egg stands up and bobs on the bottom, the air cell is larger and it isn't quite as fresh.
    If the egg floats on the surface, it is not frash at all.
    A very fresh egg out of the shell will have an overall thick white which doesn't spread much and the yolk will stand up nicly and not spread out which usally happens if the egg has been outside in the heat for a long time it is still good to eat though

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could have a special hen, or sometimes new layers take a while to settle down.

Refrigerated eggs can last for months, 6 months or more.

Imp

5. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    Quote:Grossness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by