Egg losing too much weight???

CrzyCknLady

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I have 23 eggs in my incubator right now - most of which are on day 15. I weighed/candled them today and I'm concerned about one egg in particular. It started out well but it has lost a lot more weight than any of the other eggs. I can still see the chick moving about inside but I'm concerned none the less. As my chart shows, it has lost nearly 24% of its body weight already - I know that they aren't supposed to lose more than 18% total. Is this chick going to end up shrink wrapped? All of the rest are normal so far percentage wise - but this guy is off on his own......he's lost .5oz already - with 6+ days to go.....

Since this is my first time hatching, I was just wondering why in particular this guy wants to be a skinny minnie. His air cell isn't overly large in comparison to everyone elses - it's about the same size as a few others not pictured......We're looking at F - Ignore the ones in the pink carton - they are 2 days behind......Is the air cell too big? He's had the exact same conditions as all of the others - just loosing a lot more weight than he should be.....

maybe it will be first to hatch they have to lose fluids before hatch or they will drown, I would not put them in lock down till shrunk down look at an air cell chart it might help.

I have 13 eggs in my hatcher, 7 on day 16, 6 on day 14 but I am warming up a separate hatcher for my day 16 hatcher since they will need more water on day 18.

Was the egg one of the first to be collected? meaning already had air loss? How did you weigh them as a group or individually? I wouldnt compromise the others for one odd ball.

No - they were all collected the same day. I'm not sure what is up with him but he's still wiggling away in the shell so I'll leave it alone until hatch day I guess..... It's just so strange!

Ooh - and I weigh them all individually.......I have a whole spreadsheet going. I'm nerdy like that sometimes.
idunno.gif

I am putting my first set in lockdown tomorrow morning so I candled all of them tonight since it was dark in the house and this one ended up not making it. When I did the eggtopsy, it was shrink wrapped unfortunately. It looked to be fairly healthy other wise - was forming the claws and the tip of the beak, so I'm guessing it quit today at some point. Poor little guy! I feel bad for him - and I'm telling myself it was a him so I feel better about it. Hopefully he was my only quitter and the last 22 from this batch are a success! I have some eggs that are a little smaller that are quite full and then I have some larger eggs that don't look very full at all......funny how that works, right?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom