Egg/Meat Sellers, What Would You Do If You Were Us?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babalubird, Sep 14, 2010.

1. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    We still have not set up our chicken, duck or poultry operation on our farm--still trying to sell house in city.

Knowing what you know, those of you actually selling chicken related produce or products, would you still buy chickens and set up a small operation if you were starting over now, with all the fear of government regulations to come?

We sure need income from the farm, but we are fearful it will be for nothing or have a government agency appear and confiscate everything.

Are my fears valid or am I being too paranoid?

Connie

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd say a bit on the side of paranoid, but might say...overly careful rather than paranoid. If it comes down to it, you can always use your animals for your own meat and eggs...money saved=money earned. I'd start off small and work from there.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'd start small and keep it small til you sell your house in the city. Once you sell it, then consider expanding.

4. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    I would agree on the paranoid. I'll just tell you, if you plan on making money at raising/keeping chickens it's very difficult. Your probably a lot more likely to loose money. I mess with chickens because I like them, not because they make me money.

5. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll echo the advice you've already heard. When it comes to making money, you are taking a big risk selling something you are not experienced with. Keep chickens for yourself and learn from them before you try to make money from them. Making money from keeping animals is never an easy or a sure bet. There are lots of small time farms around here that sell chickens for meat and eggs. I think it largely depends on your state's attitude about those kinds of things. Also, if you're really worried about government regulations have a negative affect your way of life, get involved in organizations that support small farms!! There is a strong movement for community based agriculture. Be the change you want to see and all that . . .

I wish you well in your adventure!!

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Alot depends on where you are and what regulations effect you. Some state allow selling off the farm with min regs others do not. Selling meat is done with live animals not already butchered ones. Eggs sell well but things are getting hard with them also. Now with the new egg scare/recall we will see more regs for those selling.

To give you an idea on money involed with chickens and the coming winter. If you do not have a coop you will need to build one about $300.00 for new wood for something on the 12 x 8. Chickens bought now as chicks will not be ready to lay for 6 months. So a bag of feed a week anywhere from 9 to 15 dollars. If you buy point of lay pullets you are looking at over $10.00 a chicken. Eggs from new pullets just starting will not be big enough to sell for at least a month. Then you need cartons and tags for the cartons. Eggs sell for $2.00 a dozen moslty. When I had 25 pullets I was selling 6 dozen a week. Enough to cover there feed and that was it. So NO you do not make money on chickens even if you free range like I do for winter you need to buy feed. BUT the fresh egg is way better tasting and for you than store bought. I get lots more than eggs from my chickens. The give bug control and fertilizer as well as eggs and meat. Cuts way back on dog food bill for us since we make our own fresh to mix with dry. No canned dog food here ever.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm new to the chicken game. But here is what I've learned. Read allot here on BYC & try to keep away from doing things twice. Definitely have a predator proof coop. Don't use chicken wire use hardware cloth & bury it in the ground & have a wire cover on your run. The initial set up for raising chickens can get pricey. But their different than a dog because you hopefully get to enjoy some fresh chemical free eggs. I'm still waiting but should be soon. Now that I'm addicted to my chicks I'm now spoiling them rotten. After watching some u tube videos about where our eggs come from I'm spoiling my Chic's even more. That has got to be the cruelest think I've ever seen. Anyway good luck.7L

8. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I think that a lot of the anti-government paranoia that you see on this board is just that, paranoia. I'd be more concerned about making sure I had a market, and a business plan that I would be about the possibility of The Government shutting me down. Find out what the regulations are in your area, stick to them, turn off talk radio and you'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by