1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg membrane only

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimerh, May 18, 2011.

1. kimerh

kimerh New Egg

May 18, 2011
    I have a Buff Orpington who already laid her egg this morning, a normal hard-shelled egg. Tonight I went out to close the coop and watched her lay an egg that only had a membrane, turn around and start eating it. I have seen a few of these eggs in the coop before but wasn't sure who was laying them. It's like she wanted a bedtime snack! Any advice or explanation for this??

Kim

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's a fluke in the plumbing. It happens not infrequently, but is usually eaten by the chickens so there is usually little evidence of it having happened. Free choice oyster shell could be helpful if you are seeing soft-shelled eggs regularly. If you are not seeing them regularly, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good luck.

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    is this her first couple of months of laying? i know when my hens started to lay i would get these eggs occasionally, they are just tomorrows eggs coming out early because i would always be missing an egg the next day, mine used to eat theirs too so i always tried to take the egg as it was coming out, gross but i don't want them to get into the habit of eating their own eggs even if it is a bad one. it shouldn't be anything to worry about long as it doesn't happen too often.

4. kimerh

kimerh New Egg

May 18, 2011
    She's a year old but it makes sense that it was today's egg yesterday -- she didn't lay one today.

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by