Egg moving

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blueeyescry, Oct 4, 2016.

1. blueeyescry

blueeyescry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2016
    Lake Park Georgia
    My pekin eggs are in a incubator, it's been 20 days today and when I woke up and peek through the glass one egg was sideways, my question is when they start to hatch at the beginning does the egg move? There's no cracks nor holes in egg yet, I thought it was 28 incubation days. Estimated about how many days now that the egg is moving before it hatches??

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @WVduckchick - are you nearby?

3. blueeyescry

Oct 2, 2016
    Lake Park Georgia
    Yes the incubator is right by my bed. This morning the egg is sideways and I watch it move now.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    The eggs definitely move about, but day 20 is a bIt early for that, it also sounds more extreme than what I'm used to.

1 person likes this.
  5. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    One of my eggs, laid on the 19, has been going sideways the last few days as well- not even 3 weeks yet!

1 person likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I've not seen duck eggs move that drastically that early either! Bobble maybe, but not really move or turn over.

Pekins huh, yes they should hatch around day 28, but that's just a general guideline. If temps are high, they can hatch early. Low temps can cause delayed hatching. Is there any possibility that the momma sat on the eggs prior to putting them in the incubator? Maybe gave them a jump-start?

And are you positive of the date count? I count the first 24 hours as 'day zero'. Day 1 doesn't start until 24 hours after starting the eggs, so maybe that's a consideration here.

1 person likes this.
  7. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    And I forgot to ask.... have you candled the eggs at all? Candling can give you a much better idea of what is going on, and at what stage of development.

1 person likes this.
  8. blueeyescry

Oct 2, 2016
    Lake Park Georgia
    I collect eggs every morning and the inside egg is definitely ready but the duck is little, I turned it this morning at 6:00am and it's already turned sideways, it's not rolling but shivering like and moving sideways, the duck looks and acts fine it's just little. Is it getting ready to hatch. Thank you all for all the help you've given me.

9. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Ok, sorry for more questions.... what kind of incubator? How many eggs? What have your temps and humidity been running thus far?

1 person likes this.
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! I hope you enjoy it here. Happy hatching.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by