Egg Mystery

jjwave

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Can anyone tell me what causes a yoke to stick to the shell inside an egg...when the shell is broken the yoke always breaks too, no matter how careful you are. It seems to be only some of the Barred Rock hens in the flock and not the other breeds. I sell the eggs to help pay for feed, etc. and my customers are not happy when they get one of these eggs. Is it a dietary deficiency of some kind? The hens are semi-free range with layer mash and I give them cracked corn and vegetables from the garden. I also provide them with oyster shell and grit about twice a month and add vitamins & electrolytes to their water every day. Thanks, jj

I have never heard of that before.
idunno.gif
Only reason I know of for yolks to break is if the egg is older. Maybe it's a genetic thing. One hen just has a wierd quirk in her laying?

Thank you for your reply. It seems no one has heard of this "Yoke" thing which I am very surprised about. It could very well be something genetic. The mystery continues! Sigh.

I've never seen that before either. I had a few wierd eggs when I came back from vacation, and I suspect that my husband didn't collect them daily, and a broody hen was sitting on them. He denies it.
tongue.png

That is very strange.
Do you store them with the small end down? Did you get all your Barred Rocks at the same time?
What happens when you hard-boil the eggs and peel them? Can you see then maybe what's going on, in terms of the lining/egg yolk placement, etc.?

Quote:
Yes, small end down always. Yes, received all the Barred Rocks at the same time. When I hard boil the eggs and peal them it just seems the yoke is right next to shell. The eggs look normal from the outside and have good shape and density. Thanks for your reply, jj

hangin'witthepeeps :

I have somewhat the same problem. I find if the inner membrane is tough I break the yolk every time. I just thought it was normal.

I've had my hens for about a year and 3 months. They started laying about 5 months old and all was normal until about 3 months ago. Someone sent me a post saying it might be a genetic condition....I don't know but perhaps it is true.​

Back
Top Bottom