Egg Mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewToFarming, Aug 8, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have a mystery with 2 eggs I had found today. I have 22 nine week olds, 4 silkies, 2 are roos for sure and I just got 2 Orp's yesterday that are 3 & 4 months old. I found 2 eggs outside the barn door today. They are large light brown eggs. I have know idea where they came from. I did the water test and they are definitely floaters. I think all are too young to lay but where in the world did they come from. I cleaned the barn and have been in this area many times and never seen them until today. We had moved here the end of may and there were other chickens here on this farm but they were gone since May. I was thinking maybe a left over from the previous chickens but I would think they would smell horrible by now especially with the heat we have been having here lately. They are old since they float but I don't think as old as May. Any ideas????

Here is a pic of them

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think it is your orps! That is when mine started laying and they look like my eggs. You are in business! Put some fake eggs in your nest, and the next time or two, they should get it in the nest. MrsK

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think it is your orps, look like their eggs! you are in business!

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Wow!!! Would they go bad that quickly???? I only got the Orps yesterday so they either laid them yesterday or today. I was hoping it was my Orps!!! You have given me hope!!![​IMG]

5. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    At 4 months old some can lay eggs even though it usual, I think It's your buffs too.

6. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Another question for you guys!
    How quickly do you need to get the eggs before they go bad? The earliest they could have been laid is yesterday if it was from my Orp's but when I tested them, they floated in the water. Would there be any other reason as to why the eggs would float besides that they have gone bad? I am very new to chickens and I have learn everything on here. This is the best place and everyone is so helpful!!! I love it here!!!!!!![​IMG]

7. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    If it is hot were you live they might spoil at around 4 to 5 days

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I don't think it was your orps.
    They would not float if you only got them the other day.

If they had been hanging around since May they would float... I think that they don't stink unless you break them... ??

9. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    These eggs still have me wondering!!! I broke one open and it did not smell bad at all but the yolk was broke inside the egg. Would this make the egg float??? So now I am back to thinking that maybe my Orp's did lay these? Also, if they indeed lay these eggs with the broken yolks, do you know why this would happen? Sorry, I am new to chickens and these would actually be my very first eggs so I will have tons of questions!!

Thanks for your help!

10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:Anyone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by