Egg Mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TiaView, Oct 29, 2010.

1. TiaView

TiaView Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Salem
    Hi. I am finding medium sized white eggs mostly on the barn floor that have a waxy shell. The whites of the eggs are very sticky. Could this be from a young chicken, or maybe a Guinea hen?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I only know chickens, ducks and geese, not guineas. The "waxy" shell makes me think of a duck egg. What breeds of chickens do you have? Any white layers in there? I would not think it is a chicken egg because "waxy" and "sticky whites" do not really fit as a description of chicken eggs. As I said I don't know guineas, but I would guess if you don't haves any ducks then it must be a guinea egg.

Good luck solving the mystery.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I had a leghorn once that laid with a shell like that... also a polish... hmmm

4. TiaView

Jun 14, 2010
    Salem
    Oh, I DO have two ducks. But the eggs are medium sized, so I didn't think about the ducks (thought they'd lay BIG eggs!). Maybe it is the ducks.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:They lay medium sized eggs their first year, but the second year they lay an egg that seems to defy reason- they are HUGE!!! I have wondered how such a large egg can come from such a slim bird.

6. TiaView

Jun 14, 2010
    Salem
    Thanks everyone for your replies.......I locked up the ducks last night and lo and behold they laid those weird eggs!! So......mystery solved!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by