Egg nest in danger

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeggyLeghorn, Jul 12, 2019 at 8:37 AM.

1. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    Hi I cant find an answer so i will post my question.

my hen, silkie polish cross, is laying her eggs outside the coop as they, the flock of 3, free range all day. was hoping she'd go broody soon to hatch the eggs. found her nest today, and the horses have exposed her hide out.

moving the eggs back into the coop sounds like a bad idea, not sure why.

i was hoping for things to go natural, so i really don't want to collect the eggs for myself.

not sure if she will hatch them, in her hiding spot which now is partially exposed.

advice? thank you:)

2. nchls school

nchls school Crowing

Apr 22, 2015
    Scotts Hill, TN
    Leave the eggs where they are. If the hen has the broody instinct she will start brooding when the clutch is complete; up to 15 eggs-possibly more. I have polish/phoenix hens. They brood well and are good mothers. Still, keep in mind that many, not all hens brood. My pure polish hens never brood. Numerous breeds have been bred to lay eggs only; the broody instinct has been bred out of them. Polish chickens are one of those breeds.

I often replace eggs as they are laid with dummy eggs to prevent breakage or predators getting the eggs.

View attachment 1842946

3. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    thank you for the input. I did move them. probably not a good idea but, the horses are well eating their way where she had them in a tuff of grass in the field, 3 acres walled in garden. I am certain that the horses would completely expose and then step on them.

I will monitour tomorrow and see what happens. If she is not happy then i will take the eggs for myself and force laying in the coop. Laying war began between the two hen that I do have so that is why I let them lay in the field.

perhaps the Polish side is dominant and the Silkie side subservient.

It is not too important that she brood and hatch. I was just letting nature do its thing.:)

Willowspirit likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: