EGG / NESTING PROBLEMS..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrszlopez, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    hello - im new to the forums ; this is my first post. i have a wild turkey hen & what we believe to be a black orpington hen. both are laying. first, the orpington made a nest in the hutch with about 7 eggs. one day, i went to check up on her as i have done every day, and she was gone off of her nest leaving a single egg behind. i candled the egg, which turned out to be rotten & have never recovered the other 6 eggs. now, our lone turkey hen has made a nest full of 10 of her own unfertilized eggs along with two of the orpingtons eggs. we also have one rhode island red rooster & a naked turken rooster. (both the turkey & other two hens we have had been seen being "mounted").. but long story short - i think my roosters are shooting blanks !!! NONE of the eggs are fertilized. is this normal ? also, he is VERY dominant & aggresive with the flock - including the turkey. today, he almost broke my silkie hen's neck trying to mount her. why might he be so aggressive & what should i do ?

[​IMG]
    turken

[​IMG]
    what we think is an orpington

[​IMG]
    turkey

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never heard of an infertile roo, but I suppose it could happen. Do you know where the other 6 eggs went? I am thinking you may have an egg eater.....

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    it may not be him it may be he needs some more protein in his diet. do you feed them layer? i know its good for the hens dont know if it would help a rooster but maybe its just the eggs. so try that if you dont already give it to them and im not sure that hen is a black orp. if you can get a full size pic of her we might can help you figure it out. (not that its that important) also if the turken is the one who is the boss i would keep my silkie in another pen. he looks to big to be mating with her and even that black hen. and one more thing i just thougth about. a turken is a type of chicken but could it be that it cant produce with anything but another turken?? i havent really delt with them before.

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    im not sure about a turken only being able to mate with another turken. i could look into it more. but yes i do feed the roos the layer feed as well. not only do i think its better for them , but they seem to like it a lot too ! but what would be eating their eggs ? i know they LOVE to eat their own but we have no idea where the other eggs went. there wasnt a trace of anything. but, thanks for the replies ! i will try to get a full sized pic of the black hen. i have no clue what kind of chicken she is lol, but itd be nice to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by