Egg not hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shaunm41, Oct 1, 2011.

1. shaunm41

shaunm41 New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    Hello..

We started off with a broody hen sitting on 8 eggs.. She broke some near the beginning which luckily wasnt fertile anyway and ended up with only 2. They were due to hatch Thursday.. One hatched and is perfectly fine.. The 2nd I think was due yesterday (I put a couple of extra eggs under the day after I gave her a clutch of 6) but its not hatched yet.. On Wednesday evening I candled both eggs and they were both moving inside, the one thats not yet hatched had a decent sized air sack.. Candled it again yesterday and today and there is no movement whatsoever and the air sack is almost gone.. Could the chick have died? or is it still likely to hatch?

Thanks

Shaun

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Give it another day or two. I recently had an egg hatch on day 25.

3. shaunm41

shaunm41 New Egg

Oct 1, 2011
    Quote:Ok will wait and see.. Shes still sitting it so hopefully it will be ok.. There has been no movement whatsoever in the egg for over 24hours now though..

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If I want to know what's going on in an egg I hold it against my ear and tap it very softly. Sometimes you can hear the chick tapping the shell from inside. That's always a good sign! Hope you get more chicks soon.
    And by the way:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by