1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg not hatching

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cmfarm, Apr 11, 2012.

1. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    So I had 2 goose eggs (mixed breed) due to hatch on Tuesday. On Monday started to hear them tapping and one chirping. On Tuesday the chirping one pipped and the other one was still tapping and was chirping too. Last night the pipped one hatched. The other egg is still tapping and chirping but still hasn't pipped. Should I do something to help it or leave it alone? This is my first time hatching geese.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Has it pipped internally. I assume it has since you can hear peeping. Once my eggs pip internally, I place a very small hole in the air cell so that the chick will have plenty of oxygen to sustain it through the hatch. After the hole is made, make sure your humidity is 65-70% and leave it alone for 24 hours before opening the bator again.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Yes, it did pip internally. I wasn't hearing much of anything from it so I decided to candle and didn't see movement. I carefully opened it and it had died. I wish I had done something this morning. It just couldn't seem to pip the shell for some reason. It was formed perfectly and had most of the yolk absorbed. So sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by