egg not loosing weight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justafeedboy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    I have 18 eggs incubating, a bunch are marans one egg in particular is not loosing any weight. It weighs the same as day 1 all others have lost 5% I am ending day 5 and beginning day 6. there have been no temp swings, I have added water to keep the humidity at 40-45 % daily. All of the eggs seem to be developing properly. Any thing I can do to help the one egg along. It is not porous at all compared to the others. It is rock solid.

2. chickendot

chickendot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    Could just be an unfertilized egg. Do you see any veining when you candle it?

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yea weight doesn't mean everything. You have to candle it. Plus you are still very early in the game. But if you candle it and see nothing: no veining, no movement etc. Then the egg is bad.

4. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    I have candled the egg twice the second time just to re confirm, it is developing I can see the veining it is at the same stage as all of the other eggs. I did have one unfertilized egg it was easy to distinguish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by