1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg not zipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rir264, Mar 4, 2016.

1. rir264

rir264 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    Plant City, Florida
    My eggs are hatching and so far all chicks look really good except for one that has egg still stuck on it's back. I have an egg that pip fine then when it came time for it to zip it started then stopped it has done this since yesterday evening, (Thursday) at 6:00. what do i do the baby is chirping so I know that it is alive, it has only zipped one quarter of the way around the egg, should I carefully get it out or should I continue to wait and see?

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
  3. rir264

rir264 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2013
    Plant City, Florida
    I just didn't want to interfere with nature! I took the large side of the egg off down to the bottom of the air sac then I released the membrane and oh my it was off to the races. I left the bottom on but I made sure that it wasn't stuck around the bird then I left the umbilical cord for the bird to do that naturally I did see the bottom of the inside enough to know that there was not any blood and the yolk was consumed. It does have a little egg membrane and shell stuck to its side where it had dried any suggestions in taking that off, it doesn't seem to impede getting around or should I leave it on? Thank you Yorkshire coop for getting your post on there so quickly.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    I'm not in general a helper when it comes to hatching. I only look at any that may be in trouble when hatch is done or the incubator is full. I like nature to take its course. Any zippers that are in trouble and peeping away have tugged on my heart strings though.

Is the chick totally detached from the egg now? How's the umbilical looking? Once the chick has had time to rest and pull round you should be able to clean the chick up with some warm water. Just make sure it does not get chilled.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Totally with Yorkshire. Longer than a half hour and I am going in!! [​IMG] If it's really bad you can wash them off, but generally if it's not affecting them just letting it wear off is usually the safer bet and they are less likely to get chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by