egg of a different color and eggs on the coop floor....???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunket77, Sep 15, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    My barred rock always lays a light brown egg, today her egg was light brown with white specks. I am pretty positive it was her as she was the last one in the box before I found the egg and hadn't laid yet today. Can a pullets egg change color? The specks where pretty obvious.

Also I am finding an egg on the coop floor in the morning under the roosts. There is a nesting box in the coop to use, but since they are only in there at night it's never really used. Can my production red be dropping the egg on the floor from the roost? would they lay like that? Or could she be laying it on the floor and it gets stepped on? The spot where I am finding it is right under the roosts in the dirtiest place possible, it makes me think she wouldn't lay there on purpose. She has used the box in the coop before like when it was raining. Any suggestions????? luckily no one ate it and got a taste for eggs!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How old are your bird? When mine first satrted laying I found a few eggs under the roosts. I think they were still getting the kinks out of their plumbing.

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I find an egg under the roost every once and a while. I figure they are laid at night. My girls have been laying in the nest boxes for a year now so they know where to lay. The first couple where broke so I pile the wood chips up under the roost. Now the eggs take the fall without breaking. You are right, they sure get dirty. As far as color change goes, mine change color day by day with some speckels and some not. Even the color from my EE's blue eggs are never the same. They still taste good.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have heard and read that once a hen lays an egg of any color- she will always lay that color. I have heard others claim on BYC however that their chickens changed laying colors?? Interesting.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:from what I know the egg coloring turns lighter as the hens age-you may start out with a dark brown color but it gets lighter with each passing egg...Mine have

6. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    When mine started laying, they laid small eggs, the color were nice and rice in color and now the only difference, is that they are more so deeper in color....even the light ones, more of a cleaner color, smooth...

But once a hen lays lets says dark choc. brown egg...she lays that, a blue egg stays...etc...

7. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    The tint of an egg does change with age. I can't speak for white eggs but my brown and blue eggs change tint from day to day. My chickens free range so I think it depends what they eat. My EE eggs have changed from blue to an almost green color then back to a different hue of blue. I only have 6 hens so I can keep a pretty close watch.

8. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Same here. My chickens eggs do change color hues. I have an austorlorp that laid a dark brown egg, almost chocolate and then a week later she laid a cream/white egg. 100% sure of it. I watched her lay both times. I sit out in my coop with a book sometimes and watch the girls lay. I wanted to know who was laying what egg and couldnt belive my eyes.

9. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    She is still a pullet she is on her third week of laying, the egg was speckled with so much white the egg was almost cream. I am trying to keep up with who is laying since I only have 3 possibly 4 laying right now. I am getting a white egg now and I assume the only white egg layer I have is my Lakenvelder , Miss. Bianca. she is the only one with white ear lobes. I have 2 EE's but it's hard to see their ear lobs since they are bearded! I got a glimpse of on yesterday and they are light but not white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by