Egg on day 22, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dodgersmomma, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    So I posted before about transporting eggs and I'm happy to say it went well, no cracks or scratches and they stayed warm. Now my problem is that one if them still hasn't hatched. The first egg hatched on day 19-20 but the other one still hasn't yet and it's about to be day 22. What should I do? Should I candle the egg or just wait and see? Please help I really want him to survive becuae A.J. (the first chick) is very lonely. He sits up against the egg and waits for him but nothing happens and I want him to have his brother/sister.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    you can candle if you'd like, just to check that the chick is still ok, they can be late sometimes however the chick may experience difficulty hatching or have some abnormal defect with legs or such. I've had quite a few hatch a bit late and they've been fine and i've had some hatch late that have had abnormalities. I'd say candle for movement and then wait and see. Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Get out of your house

dont bother your incubator

be pantiente

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    at that point, would candling do anything? Mine at day 18 (when they went into lockdown) were so big and crwoded up in there that there was no movement to be seen- just dark chick and air sac. Mine are also at day 22 now, so I can't decide what to do. I'm leaving mine until day 25, then cracking them open to see what might have gone wrong.

5. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I candled at day 23 and could tell the baby had went into the air cell and a few hours later it had pip.

6. PrestonSloan08

PrestonSloan08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Corner Alabama
    My eggs are at day 23 and only one has peeped but it never hatched an it died for some reason!! So I'm kindof upset and don't know what to do ether!!

7. dospuercos

dospuercos Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Lehi, UT
  8. Dodgersmomma

Jun 26, 2011
    I candled the egg and it doesn't look the same as it did the other day. The other day it was all black except for the air sack, now there seems to be more space in there and I didn't see any movement. But there are still vains in the egg that I can see. Should I wait a little longer or should I crack it to see if it died?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  9. Dodgersmomma

Jun 26, 2011
    But it doesn't smell or anything like that.

10. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    you can try the water test

just make sure the eggs are not peep

if the egg rocks still alive if not than bad news

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by