Egg on ground instead of nest????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by troutlakearts, Dec 28, 2009.

1. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    We have 5 girls and no rooster. They have been laying in one or the other of 2 nests for about 9 months. Over the past couple of months they have been moulting and we have only been getting 2 eggs per day "in the nests". Tonight I went out to collect the eggs and got 2 in one of the nests. When I walked back around to where the girls were, I found one egg on the ground and it was not warm, it was cold like it had been there for a number of hours. My question is why would one of the girls, who normally lays in the nest, all of a suddenly lay on the ground?????[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    she might have got lazy and decided to plop it out wherever she was at the time. i have hens that lay from the roost at night and also lay out in the run. and coop floor. its normal. [​IMG]

3. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Same here. I think its an oops!

4. troutlakearts

troutlakearts Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    leesburg
    Thanks for the info:) Any other insight will be appreciated!!!

5. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    I sometimes find eggs outside on the ground or lying on the floor of the coop. I just figured that the favorite nest was occupied.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, most likely couldn't get to the preferred laying spot and so it landed wherever the hen was at the time. I once found one in the middle of a puddle in the middle of the pasture. Talk about random!!!! But the coop door had been blown shut and so the hens had to find other locations to lay their eggs.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hen turns around and says, "Gee, and I just thought I was constipated, Human will have fun with this one"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by