1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg on poop board, in a pile of poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickiegrrl, Oct 15, 2013.

1. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I went out to clean the coop/run and gather eggs. I found 2 eggs in the nest and one on the poo board, smushed into a big pile of poop. Do hens often lay eggs while they roost? Could this be because one of the hens had to lay but it was too dark for her to find her way to the nest this morning? It was dark here until 7:30 because it's cloudy and raining. Our RIR is usually the first to lay and it looked like her egg.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    It's possible for them to lay while roosting but I would see that as very unusual. It doesn't seem like a comfortable place for laying. She probably laid it on the ground and it got smashed.

1 person likes this.
  3. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    I had one lay a funky soft egg from/under the roost a couple of months ago... all has been good since. Not sure why they would want to, but everyone told me all was good too. :)

4. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I'm glad it's been all good for you since the roost egg. The egg on my poop board was perfect. It made me sad, but we're on wormer withdrawal anyway, so it's no loss.

5. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Yep. Other than the odd location, and it being a soft shelled egg, all was fine, and has been fine. :)
    In my short time with chickens, I have learned all sorts of funny stuff can happen. :)

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Young pullets who are still working on their egg laying schedule will drop eggs all over the place. You'll get double yolkers, soft shells, and meat spots in the yolk. May take a month or two before things get sorted out.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ^^^Agrees^^^ LOL

I've found an egg on the poop board a couple times in the last week...or rather the remains of an egg.
    I think one hen laid there for who knows what reason and it got stepped on then eaten, luckily no eggs in the nests have been eaten.
    A couple of my hens roost on the edge of the poop board instead of on the roost 8" above it.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Just happened yesterday, as a matter of fact. And it was smashed like a fried egg on hash browns, emphasis on browns.

It was a soft shelled egg, and I've noticed that seems to be the case with most eggs slipping out during the night on the roost. It's not real common, but happens from time to time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by