HELP! Egg oozing during lockdown

Libraryhen

Hatching
Apr 14, 2021
First time incubating, candles right before lock down and all was fine. Half way through day 22 and we have a couple pipping and one started zipping even. However, I have one that seems to have split and begun to ooze a white/yellow substance as well as what looks to be a pocket of blood?
I am really worried about removing this egg because three have already pipped. What should I do? I don’t want it to get worse and burst or cause issues to the others.

Last edited:
I'm entirely new to incubating eggs myself, but to me that sounds like what I've heard dead eggs are like, with the oozing. As far as I know, shortly opening up the incubator to remove the rotten egg should be fine. Better than leaving it be and get that grossness all over your incubator and other eggs, I imagine!

First time incubating, candles right before lock down and all was fine. Half way through day 22 and we have a couple pipping and one started zipping even. However, I have one that seems to have split and begun to ooze a white/yellow substance as well as what looks to be a pocket of blood?
I am really worried about removing this egg because three have already pipped. What should I do? I don’t want it to get worse and burst or cause issues to the others.
I second what bobbi-j said, get that egg out.

Out of curiosity when you did your final candle before lockdown, did you verify that there was movement in all of the eggs beforehand? Eggs typically die at a few stages.

1. Dud eggs - These eggs never develop into anything and you can tell by day 8 that nothing will come from them.

2. Early embryo death, typically occurs between day 10-15 you will see the red veins that are present fade away over the course of a few days til they are no longer present. Usually there is enough yolk that you can tell that it died and looks somewhat like a dud, but with a small embryo in it. this is where most eggs die.

3. Late stage embryo death occurs between day 18-25 and. I typically verify movement before I go into lockdown to avoid this from occurring.

4. dies during the hatching process due to a host of issues, malposition, shrinkwrapping, improper handling while trying to help an egg in distress. This is imo the second most common place where eggs die.

Either way get that egg out and try to clean up what you can of what has leaked out. if you need to, do so quickly and give the incubator a quick spritz of water just before closing it up to try to boost the humidity back up.

Back
Top Bottom