1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg overload!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by emilyjay, Dec 19, 2016.

1. emilyjay

emilyjay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2016
    Narre Warren
    Hey everyone,

We have 5 female coturnix quails. They had stopped laying for a while, we would only get one or two a day, now with the warmer weather, we are getting 6 or 7 eggs daily, more eggs than we have quails! Is it at all possible for them to be laying two in a day?!

2. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Wow!! I have no idea! I have 5 females and the most I get is 5 per day.

3. Bug n Flock

Bug n Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    I had one hen lay two soft eggs in a day, and have once had a hen lay in the morning and again in the evening. What % protein is your feed?

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I've read they can lay as much as one egg every 18 hours, so yes, theoretically they can lay two eggs in a day.

5. cshma11

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I would have never thought it possible, but I carefully check the entire coop for eggs daily and we have gotten 6 eggs a day from our 5 females. None have been soft or badly formed! So one of them is laying 2 per day! Quail are so cool :)

6. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    Yup! I did a very thorough collection the other day as I'd not done it for a few, so I checked every inch of the litter to find all the buried ones, checked it all again and made sure I had all of them.

24 hours later I did it again and picked up 40 eggs. I have 30 hens!

7. cshma11

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Mine laid 6 a day for 3 days, and then I only got 3 the next day (yesterday). Maybe they needed some recovery time after all the extra laying? Haha!

8. aviaryP

aviaryP Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2016
    I bought 5 quails at the local flea market so i dont know what kind and age and one of them died.now i have 4 an a fairly large outdoor aviary. I've had then for 3-4 weeks now. Their feather has changed but no eggs yet. Am i doing something wrong? They also have a coop inside the aviary with enough space to fly. Their now making these funny noises which are so cute and it sounds like a small turkey. With a 20% protein food.

9. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    Where are you? Quails are seasonal layers, so if you're in winter, they won't be laying when kept outside. Alternatively, they do pause or slow down often when taken into a whole new situation so if you're not in winter, they may start laying soon.

Another possible solution is that they aren't female! What colour are they? Could you post pictures, if you don't know?

10. aviaryP

aviaryP Just Hatched

Dec 7, 2016
    Im in south florida. The coldest it has been was 60 bt now its on the low 70 at night. Pretty warm throughout the day. Their all hiding but i will take pictures

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by