Egg parts

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gullybrush, Jan 16, 2016.

1. gullybrush

gullybrush Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I have at least one chicken (of 16) that lays a long slender
    egg about 2-1/2 to 2-3/4" long. The small end tip is thin shelled and looks kind of wadded up and the thick and thin albumin is very thin and spreads out in a frying pan like an old egg from the store. Otherwise, everything looks normal and tastes fine. Anyone know what this is about?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Thin shells usually means not enough calcium. As for the albumen I'm not entirely sure how to change it. Can you post a picture of the nutrition label on here like this one?
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    2 people like this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Eggcessive has given you great links, I intend to check them out myself. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Do you know which of your girl's is laying eggs like you describe? If you do, can you tell us about her (age, breed, state of health, any stresses lately, etc.). Has she always laid eggs like that or is this a recent development?

More details may help.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

8. gullybrush

Jul 14, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. My feed ingredients are basically the same within 1%, except my feed has something called Phytase and has something to do with phosphorous. I read about it but have to admit I didn't quite understand it. I had another response with some good links to visit. One had a very good explanation of egg quality problems, which mentioned infectious bronchitis, but my chicks don't have any of several other symptoms of IB. Several mentions of stress and/or age related flaws in eggs. I have 4 old hens. I guess I'm through panicking now. Thanks again.

9. gullybrush

Jul 14, 2014
    Really good, informative links. Thanks so much.

10. gullybrush

Jul 14, 2014
    I checked them also and will keep them on file. Really informative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by